Research - Books and Binding

Over the christmas period and into January I bought or received a lot of artist books and zines, including Tim Barber's recent book Untitled and a box set of this years zines from Pogo Books. This was initially for my own collection of photo books but also serving as research for this project and my interest in self publishing and printing. Below I will Explain some examples in detail in relation to this project.

Tim Barber- Untitled
This is a very large, hard bound, several hundred page book consisting of photos spanning over Barber's career. It is published by OH WOW and and is very substantial to say the least. Although this is an interesting book it shows use of professional printing and binding and obviously cost a lot to produce and is not something I could recreate myself.

Chad Moore - Between Us
Between us is a photozine printed and published by Pogo Books, it is printed on thick paper and staple bound resulting in a very clean and sleek zine produced to a very high quality. This is more along the lines of something I would be able to produce myself using the bookbinding and print room facilities.

Jess Gough - Heterotopia
This is a self published photo book by a Leeds based photographer, again it is staple bound and well printed giving a semi-professional look. Like the previous examples it will have been sent to a printer and paid to be made on a large scale or production run, again this is not entirely feasible for this project as I am likely to only make a single copy of each booklet.

Dimitri Karakostas - I Slept Fine Because My Bed Still Smells Like Sex With You
This is an example of hand made and self published zine, it is staple bound but then covered in a tie dye effect strip of bookrum to give a much cleaner aesthetic. This is along the lines of the kind of thing I would like to make for my booklets as it shows that the books have still obviously been hand made but with a lot of care and a semi-professional look to them.