Response to Research

Having looked at various artists work and then back at my own I have come to the conclusion that I would like to create a series or series of portraits that attempt to capture a certain intimacy with the subject. My photos often involve people but have been described as a kind of human still life in the way that they feel impersonal and somewhat removed from the subject. Based on this I will be working closely with people in order to obtain more intimate portraits, however I am also interested in series such as that of Taryn Simon in which the photos are quite impersonal but there is a linking element between them, in her case bloodlines.

Due to the christmas break I realise that I will not have studio access and so will be hiring a set of lights for the christmas period in order to get used to the process of an appropriately light and controlled environment. This will be done both in a very rigid environment but hopefully expanded to locations more appropriate to the given subject once I am comfortable with the lighting systems.

Due to the fact that this project is as much about learning as it is producing a collection this blog will feature both elements of this project, showing what I have learned but also what I have produced.